News‎ > ‎Archives‎ > ‎

1991

The service to mark the Inauguration of Churches Together in Spalding and District took place at St Mary & St Nicolas on Sunday 1 December 1991.  The congregation was welcomed by Rev Leslie Acklam and Mr Peter Munro, with an address by the Dean of Lincoln, the Very Rev Brandon Jackson.

Hymns included 'Christ is made the sure foundation', 'Jesus, Lord, we look to thee', 'Thy hand, O God, has guided' and 'Forth in the Peace of Christ we go, with a reading from Ephesians 4 vs 1-7 & 11-16.

The declaration (left) was signed by the ministers or representatives of these churches:
Spalding Baptist
The Church of the Immaculate Conception and St Norbert
Broad Street Methodist
St Thomas's Road Methodist
St John the Baptist
St Mary, Pinchbeck
St Mary & St Nicolas
St Paul
Pennygate Evangelical Church, and
United Reformed Church

'We ... declare that we are united in pilgrimage as Churches which acknowledge the Lord Jesus as God and Saviour according to the scriptures.
'We recognise that we are bound by the love and will of Christ so to respond to his prayer that, in the spirit of repentance for our divisions we may be led by the Holy Spirit into fellowship and common purpose.
'And we seek hereby to fulfil our common mission to the world by witness and service together in proclaiming the gospel to the glory of God, Father, Son & Holy Spirit.'

See also the covenants signed in 1996 and 2004 and forming of 'Spalding and District Council of Churches' in 1954.
Comments